MMCA is committed to keeping you informed and prepared to make decisions for your business. We are working with labor partners and monitoring State and Federal legislation to keep the construction industry informed.
If you have employees who need assistance with stress, financial, or familial issues refer them to HealthPartners Employee Assistance Program at 866-326-7194 or text US HEAP and your question to 919-324-5523 or log on to hpeap.com (website password “ptsmn”).
July 23, 2020MMCA News 7/23/2020: COVID-19 Update XXXI
Face Coverings Required in Minnesota
July 8, 2020MMCA News 7/8/2020: COVID-19 Update XXX
Paycheck Protection Program Reopens
June 30, 2020MMCA News 6/30/2020: COVID-19 Update XXIX
Sample Pandemic Safety Plans
June 26,2020MMCA News 6/26/2020: COVID-19 Update XXVIII
Extension of National Service Agreement
June 17, 2020MMCA News 6/17/2020: COVID-19 Update XXVII
Pandemic Safety Plans Required for All Businesses
June 5, 2020MMCA News 6/5/2020: COVID-19 Update XXVI
Memo Regarding FFCRA, PPP Time Period Extended
May 28, 2020MMCA News 5/28/2020: COVID-19 Update XXV
IAPMO Webinar Series
May 21, 2020MMCA News 5/21/2020: COVID-19 Update XXIV
Face Masks Available from MMCA, Recording COVID-19 OSHA
May 15, 2020MMCA News 5/13/2020: COVID-19 Update XXIII
Payroll Protection Certification Grace Period Extended, Executive Order Protects Workers from Unsafe Working Conditions
May 8, 2020MMCA News 5/8/2020: COVID-19 Update XXII
Payroll Protection Certification Grace Period Extended, Flushing Building Water Systems, MMCA Governmental Bulletin
April 29, 2020MMCA News 4/29/2020: COVID-19 Update XXI
Web Tool for Businesses to Generate a Daily Snapshot of Employee Health, Infared Thermometers availible at Cost
April 24, 2020MMCA News 4/24/2020: COVID-19 Update XX
Sample Pandemic Safety Plans
April 23, 2020MMCA News 4/23/2020: COVID-19 Update XIX
Re-Opening Buildings After a COIVD-19 Shutdown, Epidemic Contract Riders
April 22, 2020
MMCA News 4/22/2020: COVID-19 Update XVIII
OSHA Guidance for the Construction Industry and Enforcement during COVID-19, Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Facility, Paid Sick Leave Enforcement
April 14, 2020
MMCA News 4/14/2020: COVID-19 Update XVII
Interim Guidance for Enforcing OSHA Recordkeeping Requirements for Cases of COVID-19, Calculating Paid Leave Under the FFCRA
April 10, 2020
MMCA News 4/10/2020: COVID-19 Update XVI
Safety Practices for Critical Infrastructure Workers with possible Exposure to COVID-19, HVACR-Plumbing Best Practices During COVID-19
April 8, 2020
MMCA News 4/8/2020: COVID-19 Update XV
- Governor Walz extended the Stay at Home Executive Order to May 4, 2020.
- DEED has authorized the first payments of the temporary additional compensation of $600/week for people receiving unemployment benefits.
Stay at Home Order Extended, Calculating Paid Leaver Under FFCRA, Expanded Unemployment Benefits Availible
April 7, 2020
MMCA News 4/7/2020: COVID-19 Update XIV
- Under the CARES act employers are required to notify serperated employees of availibility of unemployment insurance.
Employer Notice of UI, PPP FAQs, Guidance on N95 Respirators
April 6, 2020
- MMCA Contractors were requested to participate in a survey by the Minneapolis Fed to give feedback on the impact of COVID-19 on their business.
April 3, 2020
MMCA News 4/3/2020: COVID-19 Update XIII
Small Business Loans under the CARES Act
April 2, 2020
MMCA News 4/2/2020: COVID-19 Update XII
- MMCA published a letter to employers encouraging jobsite safety and workplace communication during COVID-19 outbreak.
- Pipe Trades Services has provided guidance to assist employees and employers dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic and to summarize laws and policies recently put into place as a result of COVID-19.
COVID-19 Related Tax Credits, Pipe Trades Services Resource, Request for Nonessential Mask Donation, DEED Guide for Small Businesses
March 31, 2020
MMCA News 3/31/2020: COVID-19 Update XI
Expanded Paid Leave: Effective April 1, 2020
March 30, 2020
MMCA News 3/30/2020: COVID-19 Update X
- On March 27, the President signed into law an economic stimulus package in response to the COIVD-19 pandemic. The CARES Act provided an additional $367 billion in loans for small businesses. Businesses can apply for a Federal Economic Injury Disaster Loan, for up to $2 million, through the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- DEED has released an updated list of Critical Sector Descriptions under Governor Walz's Stay at Home Executive Order 20-20.
CARES Act, Minnesota State Building Code Adoption, FAQ's from DLI & Sample Notice Letters
March 27, 2020
MMA News 3/27/2020: COVID-19 Update IX
- MMCA released 10 Layoff FAQ's. CAll MMCA with specific questions 651-646-2121.
March 26, 2020
MMCA News 3/26/2020: COVID-19 Update VIII
- The Department of Labor has made available posters that employers are required to display outlining the rights of employees under the FFCRA. The Department of Labor also published an FAQ addressing issues related to the posters (e.g., where the posters must be displayed, etc.).
- Critical employees may engage in critical work provided that all persons follow the guidelines set forth and maintained by the Minnesota Department of Health including but not limited to social distancing. The Executive Order does not restrict virtual work or telework and Minnesotans working in any field including, exempted critical sectors are encouraged to work from their home or residence as much as possible. All workers that can work from home must do so. If you so choose to provide a letter to employees stating they work in a critical sector here is a sample. This is NOT required under the executive order and refer to the bulletin below before issuing a letter.
FFCRA & Critical Workers Under Stay at Home Order
March 25, 2020
MMCA News 3/25/2020: COVID-19 Update VII
- Governor Walz issued an executive order directing Minnesotans to stay at home and limit movement outside of their home beyond essential needs for two weeks. Starting Friday, March 27 at 11:59 pm through Friday, April 10 at 5:00 pm. Much of construction has been deemed an essential service and employees are able to travel to and from their homes and place(s) of work to perform duties that cannot be done at home.
- MMCA and industry partners issued a statement regarding the Governor's Executive Order.
Stay Home Order Issued and Construction Industry Press Release
MMCA News 3/25/2020: COVID-19 Update VI
Jobsite Safety & Employee Communication, Federal Guidelines on FFCRA
March 24, 2020
- Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers signed an executive "Safer at Home" order. Many sectors of the construction industry were outlined as essential businesses. Call MMCA 651-646-2121 with concerns about employees that live in Wisconsin and work in Minnesota.
March 23, 2020
MMCA News 3/23/2020: COVID-19 Update V
- Construction as an Essential Service As shelter-in-place or similar actions are being announced across the country we have been studying the Gubernatorial orders and listed essential services. In all cases some form of construction (new, remodel and service) have been an exempt service and is allowed to continue to operate. We have communicated to the Minnesota Governor and Legislative leaders the vital importance of those who install, repair, and service the infrastructure in Minnesota and are continuing to talk to them about this issue. More to come.
- Guidance on the Essential Infrastructure Workforce - CISA, US. Department of Homeland SecurityGovernor Walz signed an Executive Order requesting Minnesota businesses conduct an inventory of all PPE not required for essential services and were not produced for the purpose of sale and submit such inventory to this form.
Construction as an Essential Service & Sample Project Delay Letters
March 20, 2020
MMCA News 3/20/2020: COVID-19 Update IV
- Unemployment Insurance Reminder If an employee is temporarily laid off, stay in regular contact with their employer. Under the Executive order, employees would not need to be placed on the out-of-work list with Local to be eligible for unemployment benefits. Call MMCA with any questions (651) 646-2121.
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act Summary by Faegre Drinker law firm for detailed information on the new federal law.
- The Building Jobs Coalition sent a letter to the Governor and the Majority Leaders advocating to keep both public and private projects moving forward.
Federal Legislation & Unemployment Insurance. Please note correction to the update "The Federal Legislation is effective on April 2, 2020, expires on December 31, 2020, and unused paid leave does NOT carry over from year to year."
March 19, 2020
MMCA News 3/19/2020: COVID-19 Update III
DLI Updates, Industry Statement Regarding Jobsite Safety, Unemployment Insurance
March 18, 2020
- MMCA with industry partners issued a joint statement regarding jobsite safety and the COVID-19 outbreak. Use this statement when there are questions surrounding the construction industries response to COVID-19, as a tool to combat owner hesitation and/or for owners who are thinking about renovating and constructing healthcare & other critical facilities.
- Familie First Coronavirus Response Act was signed into law.
March 17, 2020
MMCA News 3/17/2020: COVID-19 Update II
- By Executive Order, Governor Waltz expanded the availability of Unemployment Compensation.
Unemployment Insurance & OSHA and CDC Workplace Reccomendations
March 16, 2020
MMCA News 3/16/2020: COVID-19 Update I
- Metro Locals #15, 34, 455 & 539 have delayed their May 1st Allocation Vote. The votes have been tentatively rescheduled for the beginning of May and could be delayed further. Wage Sheets will be sent out after the allocations have been determined.
- Apprenticeship Programs have been impacted by COVID-19 social distancing measures. Please, encourage your apprentices to stay in contact with their program directors.
March 15, 2020
- Governor Walz declared the temporary closure of Minnesota K-12 schools, effective through March 27, 2020.
March 13, 2020
- President Trump declared a national state of emergency in response to COVID-19.
- Governor Walz delclared a state of peacetime emergency in response to COVID-19.